They say, ‘If looks could kill’, but what about if breath could kill? Bad breath. We all love to get up close and personal with our dogs, some of us more than others, but dogs have that one thing that can have us putting them back in the ‘friend’ zone right quickly – doggy breath; one of the worst known offenders to man.
Here are 6 ways to stop ‘death by breath’ and naturally freshen your dog’s breath:
1. Feed them a good quality food. Good quality in equals good quality out.
2. Provide them with hard, safe chew toys. The natural chewing action helps loosen the plaque which can build up and lead to odour and gum or periodontal disease.
3. Let them have dry treats as opposed to wet or soft ones. The chewing again helps control plaque and tartar build-up. Treats containing parsley are great for fighting bad breath.
4. Give your dog raw bones or rawhides. The gnawing action is a natural antidote to plaque build-up. But always supervise, and take away any small bits they could choke on.
5. Provide them with plenty of fresh, clean water.
6. Give them human food as an occasional snack. Bananas and carrots are great breath fresheners for dogs.
Of course there are doggy toothbrushes and toothpaste and mouthwashes.
But, in all honesty, we’ve never used any of those and our Lab has beautiful healthy white teeth and she’s five years old. Our vet comments on her pearly whites every year! We’re just more comfortable with more natural, less expensive, and less invasive options, but go with what works for you and your dog!
If your dog’s breath is persistently intolerable, or really sweet or acidic smelling, it’s best to see a vet – there may be an underlying issue that needs to be looked into.
How do you keep your dog’s teeth clean and their breath smelling huggably (or kissably?) fresh?