Most of the dog health topics we write about here at Life In The Dog Lane are based on direct experience with our Lab. And while they range from the more obscure, like snow nose in dogs, to swimmer’s tail in dogs, and what happens when your dog gets stung and you have no idea what to do, to the more ordinary like how to keep dog breath at bay and out of your life forever, we like to cover topics that we’ve had direct experience with.
This way, we can share what we’ve learned and do our bit towards helping to keep dogs safe and owners informed. And thanks to your feedback, we learn too!
Well, today’s topic isn’t something we have any experience with. Juno hasn’t ever had poison ivy (and neither has any dog for that matter, but more on that later), but, we do love a grand trail walk in our family.
Weekends will often find us hiking local trails, exploring parks, crossing fields, and following creeks. Which are? All prime spots for poison ivy (and poison oak, sumac, etc.)!
So it got me thinking, can dogs get poison ivy?
Well, the short answer is no, as I found out. At least not in the typical sense that we know it, with the itchy red rash that spreads like the dickens.
BUT…dogs can hold the toxic resin called urushiol in their fur. So touching your dog can lead you to get poison ivy.
Good news though. It’s quick and easy to prevent. Follow these steps…
If you know (or suspect) that your dog has come in contact with poison ivy (or other similar plant offenders), it’s best to:
- Rinse him off or give him a warm soapy bath (with rubber gloves and a raincoat);
- Wash your clothes, and anything else your dog may have touched like blankets or towels, in warm water;
- Rinse your shoes. And you’ll both be fine.